From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- 2 February - Spaniard Pedro de Mendoza founds Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Wales is united with England by an Act of Union
- Manco II revolts from Spanish rule in Peru
- Resumption of war between Francis I of France and Emperor Charles V. Francis ceases control of Savoy and captures Turin.
- Protestantism introduced in Denmark
- Portuguese Crown divides Brazil into fifteen donatory captaincies.
- 7 January - Catherine of Aragon (wife of Henry VIII of England).
- 19 May - Anne Boleyn (wife of Henry VIII of England).
- 12 July - Erasmus of Rotterdam, Dutch writer and philosopher
- September 25 - Johannes Secundus, Dutch poet
- William Tyndale, Protestant martyr and scholar, is burned at the stake for heresy.