From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- March 14 - Battle of Ivry - Henry IV of France again defeats the forces of the Catholic League under the Duc de Mayenne.
- May - August - Unsuccessful siege of Paris by Henry IV of France. Henry is forced to raise the siege when the Duke of Parma comes to its relief with a Spanish army.
- May 17 - Anne of Denmark is crowned queen of Scotland.
- August 18 - John White, the governor of the Colony of Roanoke, returns from a supply-trip to England and finds his settlement deserted.
- September 15 - Pope Urban VII succeeds Sixtus V.
- December 5 - Pope Gregory XIV succeeds Urban VII.
- Coptic Pope Gabriel VIII succeeds Yoannis XIV.
- Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria Meletius I succeeds Silvester.
- Japan is united by Toyotomi Hideyoshi
- August 19 - baptize of Henry Rich, 1st Earl of Holland, English nobleman
- Andrew Bobola, Jesuit missionary and martyr.
- William Bradford, leader of the Pilgrim settlers of the Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts.
- Gerald van Honthorst, painter.
- Simon Vouet, painter.