From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 15th century - 16th century - 17th century
- January 30 - William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is performed for the first time
- June 9 - Battle of Fontaine-Franšaise. Henry IV of France defeats the Spanish, but is nearly killed due to his rashness.
- October 28 - Battle of Guirgevo. Transylvanian forces under Sigismund Bathory, allied to the Habsburgs, defeat the Turkish army of Sinan Pasha, securing Transylvanian control over Wallachie.
- Mehmed III succeeds Murad III as Sultan of the Ottoman Empire
- December - Henry Lawes, English musician.
- December 4 - Jean Chapelain, French poet.
- Count Johann von Werth, German general of cavalry in the Thirty Years' War.
- Bohdan Chmielnicki, a Zaporizhzhya (Zaporozhian) Cossack hetman of Ukraine, noted for his revolt against Poland which began in 1648, and for instigating a massacre of the Jews.
- Andrej Cergol, Slovene mathematician.
- Jean Desmarets, French dramatist and miscellaneous writer.
- Ladislaus IV of Poland.