From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- March 24 - King James VI of Scotland succeeded his cousin Elizabeth I as King James I of England. By some criteria this was the start of the modern Great Britain.
- November 17 - Sir Walter Raleigh goes on trial for treason in the converted Great hall of Winchester Castle
- Change of emperor of the Ottoman Empire from Mehmed III (1595-1603) to Ahmed I (1603-1617)
- Johann Bayer's Uranometria, an atlas of the southern sky, is published.
- Tokugawa Ieyasu granted title of shogun from the emperor of Japan and establishes the Edo or Tokugawa Shogunate in Edo, Japan. This ends the Azuchi-Momoyama period and begins the Edo period.
- Accademia dei Lincei founded
- Denis Gaultier - A French lutenist and composer.