From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- Polish troops occupy Moscow.
- November 5 - Gunpowder Plot: A plot by Guy Fawkes to blow up the English Houses of Parliament is foiled when Sir Thomas Knyvet, a justice of the peace, finds Fawkes in a cellar below the Parliament building and orders a search of the area. About 20 barrels of gunpowder were found and Fawkes was arrested for trying to kill Parliament and King James I of England who were scheduled to sit together in Parliament the next day.
- Miguel Cervantes' Don Quixote is published.
- Pope Leo XI is elected, but dies before the year is out.
- May 16 - Paul V becomes Pope.