From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- August 6 - Pope Urban VIII is elected to the Papacy.
- Change of emperor of the Ottoman Empire from Osman II (1618-1622) to Murat IV (1623-1640).
- The Safavids recapture Baghdad.
- England first colonizes Saint Kitts and Nevis.
- Wilhelm Schickard invents his "Calculating Clock", and early mechanical calculator.
- Procopius's long-lost Secret History is rediscovered in the Vatican Library.
- Giambattista Marini publishes his long poem Adone.
- Tommaso Campanella publishes The City of the Sun.
- Johannes Rudbeck founds Rudbeckianska Gymnasiet, first gymnasium in Sweden.
- The Avedis Zildjian Company begins making cymbals at Constantinople.
- Second Thanksgiving celebrated at Plymouth Plantation.
- Erotomania is first mentioned in a psychiatric treatise.