From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- January 4 - Charles I besieges Hull in an attempt to gain control of its arsenal.|Charles I]] attempts to arrest five leading members of the Long Parliament, but they escape. Beginning of English Civil War.
- March 1 - Georgeana, Massachusetts (now known as York, Maine) becomes the first incorporated city in America
- May 17 - Sieur de Maisonneuve founds the Ville Marie de Montréal.
- July - Charles I besiges Hull in an attempt to gain control of its arsenal.
- October - Battle of Edgehill.
- November 24 - Abel Tasman becomes the first European to discover the island Van Diemen's Land (later renamed Tasmania).
- The Dutch drive Spain from Taiwan.
- The first recorded sighting of New Zealand and Tasmania by Abel Tasman.
- Blaise Pascal produces a mechanical adding machine (the "Pascaline").
- Claudio Monteverdi's opera l'Incoronazione di Poppeia is first performed.
- First Battle of Lostwithiel