From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 16th century - 17th century - 18th century
- November 11 - France and Netherlands agree to divide the island of Sint Maarten/Saint Martin.
- Peace treaty signed at Westphalia ends the Thirty Years' War.
- The English Parliament finds Charles I guilty of treason, and sentences him to be executed.
- Change of emperor of the Ottoman Empire from Ibrahim I (1640-1648) to Mehmed IV (1648-1687)
- The Dutch and the Spanish sign the Treaty of Munster, ending the Eighty Years' War. The Spanish Empire recognizes the Dutch Republic of United Netherlands as a sovereign state, (governed by the House of Orange-Nassau and the Estates General) which was before a province of the Spanish Empire. The Netherlands becomes the first European power with a republican form of government.