From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- February 3 - American Revolutionary War: Spain recognizes United States independence.
- February 4 - American Revolutionary War: Great Britain formally declares that it will cease hostilities with the United States of America.
- May 18 - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada- First United Empire Loyalists reach Parrtown.
- July 16 - Grants of land in Canada to American loyalists announced.
- September 3 - American Revolutionary War ends: Treaty of Paris - A treaty between the United States and the Kingdom of Great Britain is signed in Paris, ending the war.
- November 2 - In Rocky Hill, New Jersey, US General George Washington gives his "Farewell Address to the Army".
- November 21 - In Paris, Jean-François Pilâtre de Rozier and François Laurent, the marquis d'Arlandes, make the first untethered hot air balloon flight (flight time: 25 minutes, Maximum height: 5½ miles).
- November 25 - American Revolutionary War: The last British troops leave New York City three months after the signing of the Treaty of Paris.
- December 4 - At Fraunces Tavern in New York City, US General George Washington formally bids his officers farewell.
- Montgolfiers demonstrate the World's first hot air balloon in Annonay, France;
- City of Sevastopol founded;
- United Empire Loyalists flee to Canada from the new United States;
- Treaty of Versailles signed, ending hostilities between the Franco-Spanish Alliance and England.