From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 17th century - 18th century - 19th century
- August 8 - Mont Blanc was climbed for the first time by Dr. Michael-Gabriel Paccard and Jacques Balmat.
- Choctaw Treaty
- Chickasaw Treaty
- Robert Burns publishes Poems, Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect
- Frenchmen Jacques Balmat and Michel-Gabriel Paccard are the first to climb Mont Blanc
- Francis Light acquires the island of Penang from the Sultan of Kedah on behalf of the English East India Company. It is the first British colony in South-East Asia.
Year in topic
- January 8 - Nicholas Biddle, President of the Second Bank of the United States (+ 1844)
- January 23 - Auguste de Montferrand, architect
- February 24 - Wilhelm Grimm, philologist, folklorist (+ 1859)
- September 18 - King Christian VIII of Denmark
- David "Davy" Crockett
- Henry Bishop, English composer
- Friedrich Daniel Rudolf Kuhlau, German composer
- Carl Maria von Weber, German composer
- Ludwig I, King of Bavaria
- May 19 - John Stanley, English composer
- Friedrich II the Great, or Frederick the Great, of Prussia
- Carl Wilhelm Scheele, Swedish chemist