From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- February 20 - Battle of Huzaingo
- February 28 - The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad is incorporated, becoming the first railroad offering commercial transportation of both people and freight.
- March 15 - The University of Toronto is chartered
- April 10 - George Canning succeeds Lord Liverpool as British Prime Minister
- May 21 - Launch of the Standard newspaper of London, which later became the Evening Standard.
- June - Nicéphore Nièpce makes a true photograph.
- July 6 - Treaty of London between France, Britain, and Russia, to demand that the Turks agree to an armistice in Greece.
- August 31 - Frederick John Robinson, 1st Viscount Goderich becomes Prime Minister of the U.K. following the death of Canning
- October 20 - Battle of Navarino. British, French, and Russian Naval Forces destroy the Turko-Egyptian fleet in Greece.
- September 21 - Joseph Smith, Jr claims that the angel Moroni gave him a record of gold plates, one-third of which is translated into The Book of Mormon