From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 4 The Vicomte de Martignac succeeds the Comte de Villèle as Prime Minister of France.
- January 22 The Duke of Wellington succeeds Lord Goderich as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. He repeals the Test Act, emancipating all Catholics, and introduces the Roman Catholic Relief Act the following year.
- April 26 Russia declares war on Turkey, in support of the Greek struggle for independence.
- May 26 - Mysterious foundling Kaspar Hauser is discovered wandering the streets of Nuremberg, Germany.
- August 9 The Egyptians evacuate Greece, practically ending hostilities there.
- August 27 The Russians defeat the Turks at Akhaltzikke.
- December 3 - U.S. presidential election, 1828: Challenger Andrew Jackson beats incumbent John Quincy Adams and is elected President of the United States.
- Urea becomes the first organic compound to be artificially synthesised, by Friedrich Wöhler (see Biochemistry)
- White comedian Thomas D. Rice introduces blackface and the song "Jim Crow" to American audiences.