From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 30 - Unsuccessful assassination attempt against President Andrew Jackson in the United States Capitol -- first assassination attempt against a President of the United States.
- March 2 - Ferdinand becomes Emperor of Austria
- April 18 - Lord Melbourne succeeds Sir Robert Peel as British Prime Minister
- May 5 - In Belgium a railway is opened between Brussels and Mechelen. It is the first railway in continental Europe
- May 6 - James Gordon Bennett publishes the first issue of the New York Herald.
- July 4 - The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad completed construction of its Thomas Viaduct then the longest bridge in the United States, and second only to London Bridge in the world.
- October 2 - Texas Revolution begins: Battle of Gonzales - Mexican soldiers attempt to disarm the people of Gonzales, Texas but encounter stiff resistance from a hastily assembled militia.
- December 9 - The Army of the Republic of Texas captures San Antonio
- The Toledo War was fought between the State of Ohio and the Territory of Michigan over the city of Toledo.
Year in topic
- February 15 - Demetrius Vikelas, Greek IOC president* March 24 - Jožef Stefan, Slovene physicist, mathematician and poet († 1893)
- March 29 - Gustaf Zander, physician († 1920)
- April 9 - King Leopold II of the Belgians († 1909)
- June 2 - Pope Pius X († 1914)
- October 9 - Camille Saint-SaŽns, composer († 1921)
- October 23 - Adlai E. Stevenson, Vice President of the United States († 1914)
- November 21 - Hetty Green, businesswoman († 1916)
- November 25 - Andrew Carnegie, industrialist, philanthropist († 1919)
- November 30 - Mark Twain, author, humorist († 1910)
- December 4 - Samuel Butler, writer († 1902)
- December 18 - Lyman Abbott, author († 1922)
- March 2 - Emperor Francis I of Austria (* 1768)
- April 8 - Wilhelm von Humboldt, linguist, philosopher (* 1767)
- April 21 - Samuel Slater, US industrialist (* 1768)
- May 13 - John Nash, architect (*1752)
- June 18 - William Cobbett, journalist and author (* 1763)
- September 23 - Vincenzo Bellini, Italian composer (* 1801)