From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 23 - The flip of a coin determines whether a new city in Oregon is named after Boston, Massachusetts, or Portland, Maine, with Portland winning.
- March 27 - First reported case of white men seeing Yosemite Valley.
- March 30 - A population census was taken of all people living in the United Kingdom.
- May 1 - The Great Exhibition in Hyde Park, London is opened by Queen Victoria. It runs until October 15.
- May 15 - Rama IV is crowed King of Thailand.
- July - The immortal game, a famous chess game, is played.
- July 29 - Annibale de Gasparis, in Naples, Italy discovers asteroid 15 Eunomia.
- The first America's Cup is organized (see Yachting).
- Gold discovered in Australia.
- The New York Times is founded.
- Ariel and Umbriel, moonss of Uranus, discovered by William Lassell.
- December 2 - Newly-elected French President Louis Napoleon Bonaparte violently overthrows the Second Republic.
- December 24 - The Library of Congress burns
- December 29 - The first YMCA opens, in Boston, Massachusetts