From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 19 - Giuseppe Verdi's opera Il Trovatore premieres in Rome
- January 21 - Russell L. Hawes patents the envelope folding machine.
- January - Napoleon III marries the Spanish Countess Eugčnie at the Tuileries
- July 8 Commodore Perry arrives in Edo Bay with a request for a trade treaty
- August 24 - Potato chips first prepared.
- November 15 - Maria II of Portugal is succeeded by her son Pedro
- November 30 - Crimean War: Battle of Sinope - The Russian fleet destroys the Turkish fleet.
- December 30 - Gadsden Purchase: The United States buys land from Mexico to facilitate railroad building in the Southwest
- Donald McKay builds The Great Republic, the world's biggest sailing ship, which at 4,500 tons was too large to be successful
- Isambard Kingdom Brunel began work on the Great Eastern passenger steamer
- Franklin Pierce succeeds Millard Fillmore as President of the United States of America
- Start of Crimean War
- Independent Santa Cruz Maya of Eastern Yucatan recognized as an independent nation by British Empire
- Iesada succeeds Ieoshi as Japanese Shogun
- Beginning of the Late Tokugawa shogunate, the last part of the Edo period in Japan.