From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 8 - Borax is discovered (John Veatch).
- January 29 - Queen Victoria institutes the Victoria Cross
- February 18 - The American Party (Know-Nothings) convene in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to nominate their first Presidential candidate, former President Millard Fillmore.
- March 30 - The Treaty of Paris (1856) is signed, ending the Crimean War
- April 7 - Foundation of Nelson College, Nelson, New Zealand
- May 21 - Lawrence, Kansas is captured and burned by pro-slavery forces.
- May 22 - Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina beats Senator Charles Sumner with a cane in the hall of the United States Senate for a speech Sumner had made attacking Southerners who sympathized with the pro-slavery violence in Kansas ("Bleeding Kansas"). Sumner was unable to return to duty for three years while he recovered. Brooks became a hero across the South.
- July 31 - Christchurch, New Zealand chartered as a city.
- November 17 - American Old West: On the Sonoita River in present-day southern Arizona, the United States Army establishes Fort Buchanan in order to help control new land acquired in the Gadsden Purchase.
- Gregor Mendel starts his research on genetics.
- End of the Crimean war.
- November - James Buchanan defeats John C. Fremont in the U.S. presidential election
- National Portrait Gallery in London opened.
Year in topic
- January 11 - Christian Sinding, composer (+ 1941)
- January 12 - John Singer Sargent, artist (+ 1925)
- January 20 - Harriot Eaton Stanton Blatch, women's rights activist († 1940)
- February 14 - Frank Harris, author and editor
- March 9 - Edie Foy, singer, dancer, vaudeville performer (+ 1928)
- March 20 - Frederick Winslow Taylor, inventor, efficiency expert
- April 5 - Booker T. Washington, African-American educator (+ 1915)
- April 12 - William Martin Conway, British art critic and mountaineer (+ 1937)
- May 6 - Sigmund Freud, Austrian psychiatrist, founder of psychoanalysis
- May 6 - Robert Peary, explorer (+ 1920)
- May 15 - L. Frank Baum, author (+ 1919)
- July 2 - Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Indian political activist (+ 1920)
- July 10 - Nikola Tesla, inventor (+ 1943)
- July 26 - George Bernard Shaw, writer (+ 1950)
- September 18 - Wilhelm von Gloeden, photographer (+ 1931)
- November 24 - Bat Masterson, "Wild West" legend (+ 1921)
- December 25 - Hans von Bartels, German painter