From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
- January 18 - Modern field hockey is born with the formation of The Hockey Association in England.
- January 29 - Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- March 17 - Carrollton Massacre: 20 African Americans are killed in Mississippi.
- April 25 - Easter occurs on latest possible date (next in 1943)
- May 1 - the start of the general strike in the United States which escalated into Haymarket Riot and eventually won the eight-hour workday in the U.S.
- May 8 - Pharmacist Dr. John Styth Pemberton invents a carbonated beverage that would be named "Coca-Cola."
- May 29 - Chemist John Pemberton begins to advertise Coca-Cola (ad in the Atlanta Journal).
- September 4 - Indian Wars: After almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo surrenders with his last band of warriors to General Nelson Miles at Skeleton Canyon in Arizona.
- October 28 - In New York Harbor, US President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty.
- November 25 - Indian Wars: In retaliation for the dramatic American defeat at the Battle of Littlebighorn, United States Army troops under General Ranald Mackenzie sack Chief Dull Knife's sleeping Cheyenne village at the headwaters of the Powder River (the soldiers destroyed all of the villager's winter food and clothing and then slashed their ponies' throats).
- November 30 - Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- January 2 - Florence Lawrence, Hollywood's first "star" (+ 1938)
- January 14 - Hugh Lofting, author (+ 1947)
- January 25 - Wilhelm Furtwängler, conductor (+ 1954)
- February 8 - Charles Ruggles, actor (+ 1970)
- February 27 - Hugo Black, associate justice of the United States Supreme Court (+ 1971)
- March 1 - Oskar Kokoschka, painter, graphic artist and poet (+ 1980)
- March 15 - Sergei Kirov, Soviet revolutionary
- March 18 - Edward Everett Horton, actor (+ 1970)
- March 25 - Patriarch Athenagoras (+ 1972)
- March 27 - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, architect (+ 1969)
- April 26 - Ma Rainey, blues singer
- May 17 - King Alfonso XIII of Spain
- May 26 - Al Jolson (+ 1950)
- June 7 - Henri Coanda, aerodynamics pioneer
- June 18 - George Mallory, climber lost on Mt. Everest
- July 12 - Jean Hersholt - Danish born actor (+ 1956)
- September 16 - Jean Arp, sculptor, painter, and poet
- October 6 - Edwin Fischer, pianist and conductor
- October 16 - David Ben-Gurion, first prime minister of Israel (* 1973)
- December 8 - Diego Rivera, painter
- December 18 - Ty Cobb, baseball player
- Charles Williams, British author