From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Carl Laemmle of Paramount experiments with combining audio from phonographs with film. Laemmle's experiements lead to the German development of "Syncroscope." "Syncroscope" had several successful demonstrations, but was eventually abandoned.
- First Ben-Hur film, directed by Sidney Olcott
- November 28 - In Haverville, Massachusetts, scrap-metal dealer Louis B. Mayer opens his first movie theater (in a few years he had the largest theater chain in New England and in 1917 he founded his own production company, which eventually became part of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer).
- January 3 - Ray Milland, actor († 1986)
- January 19 - Lilian Harvey, actress († 1968)
- January 20 - Barbara Stanwyck, actress († 1990)
- January 20 - Paula Wessley, actress († 2000)
- May 12 - Katharine Hepburn, actress
- May 22 - Laurence Olivier, actor († 1989)
- May 26 - John Wayne, actor († 1979)
- September 15 - Fay Wray, actress