From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Triple bridge (Tromostovje)
Although the Roman settlement Emona (Colonia Emona (Aemona) Iulia tribu Claudia) was erected in 15 AD, the first records mentioning Ljubljana by its modern name date to 1144 (by its German name Laibach) and 1146 (by name Luwigana).
After receiving its town rights in 1220, Ljubljana came under Habsburg rule in 1335, became the seat of the diocese in 1461, and developed into a Slovenian cultural center during the late Middle Ages.
Ljubljana was several times devastated by earthquakes. After the earthquake in 1511, Ljubljana was rebuilt in the Renaissance style, and after the earthquake 1895 severely damaged the city, in Neo-Classicist style. The city's architecture is thus a mixture of styles (with large areas of city built after World War II, featuring the work of native architect Jože Plečnik).