From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The lower-case letter μ is used as the symbol for:
- The Möbius function in mathematics.
- The SI prefix micro-, which represents one millionth, or 10-6.
- Formerly, the micron, an old unit corresponding to the micrometer.
- The coefficient of friction, ie. the ratio of the limiting frictional force between two surfaces against the normal contact force.
- The elementary particle called muon in particle physics.
- Reduced mass in the two-body problem in physics.
- Rarely, to distinguish between one item represented by m and another (but m might be an easier option).