From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland. He joined the Royal Navy after leaving school, and after being discharged on medical grounds went on to a succession of jobs, including labourer and lifeguard. He competed for Scotland in the Mr. Universe competition in 1953, which led to work on the stage, TV, and eventually film.
Although extremely popular throughout the United Kingdom, he was turned down for a knighthood in 1997 and 1998, allegedly because of supporting the Scottish National Party, a Scottish separatist group. The British government finally relented, and he was made a Knight Bachelor on July 5, 2000. He had received Kennedy Center Honors from the United States only a few months before.
- Never Say Never Again (1983)
- Diamonds are Forever (1971)
- You Only Live Twice (1967)
- Thunderball (1965)
- Goldfinger (1964)
- From Russia With Love (1963)
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
- Finding Forrester (2000)
- Entrapment (1999])
- The Rock (1996)
- The Hunt for Red October (1990)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- The Untouchables (1987) (for which he won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor)
- The Name of the Rose (1986)
- Highlander (1986)
- Outland (1981)
- Ffolkes (1980)
- A Bridge Too Far (1977)
- The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
- Zardoz (1973)
- Marnie (1964) (directed by Alfred Hitchcock)