From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
A spoon is a common eating utensil, or item of cutlery, like a small spade, that occurs in a number of sizes and forms and is also suitable for liquid food and for stirring, and can have a number of other uses, including: courtship, combat and musical entertainment, strangely enough. Obviously, the most widely used and well known use is for assistance in eating.
The variant of the spoon and the fork, the spork, has become popular in the past couple decades.
- Dessert spoon - between tablespoon and teaspoon in size
- Egg spoon - used for hens' eggs; smaller than a teaspoon
- Ladle - spoon with a long handle attached vertically; for liquids
- Love spoon - a carved wooden spoon given as a token of betrothal
- Musical spoons - because they are played in pairs
- Runcible spoon - invented by Edward Lear in The Owl and the Pussycat, but later given a real meaning
- Serving spoon
- Silver spoon - a small spoon given to a newborn child to ensure good fortune; used as a metaphor for someone born to riches
- Slotted spoon
- Soup spoon - different types:
- metal soup spoon similar in shape to a teaspoon
- Chinese soup spoon - usually made from ceramic and of a distinct Chinese soup spoon shape
- Wooden spoon - sometimes given symbolically as a compensation for losing a competition
knife, fork, tablespoon, spork, Spoonerism, Spoon (band)
- "Spoon!!!" - Battle cry of The Tick, The Tick
- From the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves:
- "I'll cut out his heart with a spoon..." -Sherriff of Nottingham
- "Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?" -Guy of Gisbourne
- "Because it will hurt more, you idiot!" -Sherriff
- "We found this spoon sir." -Sergeant, The Life of Brian
- "And the cat's in the cradle with the silver spoon, little boy blue and the man in the moon" - "Cats in the Cradle", performed by Harry Chapin and Ugly Kid Joe
- "There is no spoon." -Bald Kid, The Matrix
- "There is no spoon?" -Neo, The Matrix
- "A sweet lounge lizard, with a silver spoon" -Motorhead, Stone Dead Forever
- "Do you know that's the third spoon I've heard drop this month?" -Algy Longworth, Bulldog Drummond
- "That tall drink of water with the silver spoon up his ass." -Red, The Shawshank Redemption
- "They'll east their words with a fork and spoon, and watch 'em! They'll hit the road and all be surfin' soon." -The Beach Boys, "Catch A Wave"
- "They came in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon" The Beatles
- Spoon = Sporadic Purveyor of Obscure kNowledge
- "And the dish ran away with the spoon." - from a nursery rhyme