From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Timeline of lighting technology
- circa 3000 BC Candles are invented.
- ??? BC oil lamps
- 1840 first kerosene lamps (oil lamps that burn fuel from petroleum)
- 1853 Ignacy Lukasiewicz invents petrol lamp
- 1792 William Murdoch lights his house and office by means of gas.
- c. 1802 Humphry Davy demonstrates arc-lighting.
- 1815 Humphry Davy invents the miner's safety lamp.
- 1835 James Bowman Lindsay demonstrates a light bulb based electric lighting system to the citizens of Dundee.
- 1841 Arc-lighting used as experimental public lighting in Paris
- 1867 A. E. Becquerel demonstrates the first fluorescent lamp
- 1875 Henry Woodward patents the electric light bulb.
- 1876 Paul Jablochkoff invents the Jablochkoff candle, the first practical carbon arc lamp, for public street lighting in Paris.
- 1879 Thomas Edison and Joseph Wilson Swan patent the carbon-thread incandescent lamp.
- c. 1889 Incandescent gas mantle invented, revolutionises gas lighting.
- c. 1893 Nikola Tesla uses cordless low pressure gas discharge lamps, powered by a high frequency electric field, to light his laboratory.
- 1903 Peter Cooper Hewitt demonstrates the mercury-vapour lamp.
- 1911 Georges Claude develops the neon lamp.
- 1962 Nick Holonyak Jr. developed the first practical visible-spectrum LED